Published by Beth Morgan on 31 Jan 2012 at 07:19 pm
I can’t tell you how many people rang me, emailed me and stopped me in the street to ask me about the new rules for Royal Ascot………!!
So….just to clarify…..
Please note the dress code below is NEW for 2012.
Ladies are kindly reminded that formal day wear is a requirement in the Royal Enclosure, defined as follows:
- Dresses and skirts should be of modest length defined as falling just above the knee or longer;
- Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater;
- Jackets and pashminas may be worn but dresses and tops underneath should still comply with the Royal Enclosure dress code;
- Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour;
- Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
Ladies are kindly asked to note the following:
- Strapless, off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch (2.5cm) are not permitted;
- Midriffs must be covered;
- Fascinators are no longer permitted in the Royal Enclosure; neither are headpieces which do not have a base covering a sufficient area of the head (4 inches / 10cm).
Lucky then that all my hats conform to these new guide lines!! Seems that one of the new rules is simply that we shouldn’t call them fascinators any more, but the more grown up headdress or head piece!
Maybe something like this……….?!